Stakeholder Dialogues in 2014: What is Expected of Mizuho's CSR?
On June 12, 2014, we held a series of dialogues with knowledgeable persons regarding what is expected of Mizuho's CSR.
Thus far, to implement its CSR activities in the overall management of its activities, Mizuho has formed organizational units to promote CSR and moved forward with the preparation of a medium– and long–term initiative policy. However, to further expand and improve these initiatives, Mizuho asked for the opinions of persons knowledgeable in various areas.
Professor, Hitotsubashi University Graduate School of International Corporate Strategy
Executive Director, Center for Public Resources Foundation
Certified Public Accountant and Member of the Subcommittee on Technology of the International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC)
Participants from Mizuho
Managing Executive Officer (Group Chief Strategy Officer (Group CSO))
General Manager, Corporate Communications Division
Head of CSR Promotion Department, Corporate Communications Division
Mizuho was highly appraised for the various aspects of its CSR initiatives. These included the direction of CSR initiatives through Mizuho's main business as set forth in its medium– and long–term CSR initiative policy that was prepared in April 2014, Mizuho's initiatives are to strengthen its corporate governance system through the transition to a Company with Committees, and promoting the proactive initiatives of each of its employees in putting Mizuho Corporate Identity into practice. In addition, some opinions were voiced that Mizuho should substantially strengthen its initiatives to contribute to society through its main business. Among the areas where the most was expected of Mizuho were the following.
- Indicate management directions and strategies related to the roles Mizuho should play in the financial industry and its responses to social needs
- From the perspective of providing value for society through its main business, think of a sense of values that would distinguish Mizuho as a Japanese company and differentiate it from other companies
- Recommend that employees develop a sense of being members of society and citizens through reflecting assessment criteria and supporting a good work/life balance
As measures to promote these items, some important pieces of advice were the following.
- Mizuho management should provide a venue for discussion regarding what social value it should offer and show its commitment to doing so.
- Establish an indicator of membership in and contribution to society in corporate strategy.
- Hold dialogues with and strengthen engagement with a broad range of stakeholders
In addition, suggestions for specific business initiatives where expectations were high were the following.
- Develop and show a model form of future middle–market, small– and medium–sized companies
- Encourage financial businesses that will transfer assets to the next generation, including donations
Taking account of these opinions, Mizuho will move its CSR initiatives forward in the overall management of its activities.
|Area||What is expected of Mizuho|
|Specific Business Initiatives||