Strengthening group-wide business promotion structures and adopting new working styles
The Head Office functions of Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. (President & CEO: Tatsufumi Sakai); Mizuho Bank, Ltd. (President & CEO: Koji Fujiwara); Mizuho Trust & Banking Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Kei Umeda); and Mizuho Securities Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Koichi Iida) will be consolidated into Tokyo's Otemachi and Marunouchi area following the completion of the new Mizuho Marunouchi Tower (located at 1-3-3 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo).
Consolidation of our Head Office functions will enable us to strengthen our business promotion structures on a group-wide basis. We will also provide workplaces where employees can continue to work dynamically and achieve professional growth, and continue generating new value through original ideas and ingenuity, and these workplaces will enable the realization of new working styles at Mizuho.
Our concept of "New Workplaces + New Working Styles" will propel Mizuho's growth as an attractive company where each employee can work dynamically, and will enable us to create even more new value than before as we further accelerate our transition to the next generation of financial services.
1．Strengthening group-wide business promotion structures
- Customer service functions will be consolidated into the newly completed Mizuho Marunouchi Tower, and business management functions will be consolidated into Otemachi Tower (located at 1-5-5 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo), which houses the Mizuho Financial Group Head Office.
- We will bolster Mizuho's strong group coordination across our banking, trust banking, and securities entities, building a structure that facilitates speedier and more group-wide formulation and execution of business strategy.
2．Our new working style initiatives
- We have launched new working style initiatives to raise work productivity and energize the company through flexible working arrangements that are not restrictive of place, day of the week, or time of day.
- The Covid-19 pandemic is an opportunity to re-examine how we work, and in addition to enabling each employee to choose their own working style, new working styles will enhance the quality, quantity, and speed of communication by making full use of both on-site and remote work. These new working styles present a new challenge which will enable us to come together as an organization and put our action principles, Open & Connected and Passionate & Professional, into practice as we transition to the next generation of financial services under our 5-Year Business Plan.
|Our new working styles|
|Increasing work productivity and energizing the company with flexible working styles that are not restrictive of place, day of the week, or time of day.
- Each employee chooses their own working style.
- Utilize both on-site and remote work to enhance the quality, quantity, and speed of communication.
Remote work and satellite offices
Under our remote work structure, a quarter of Head Office employees are working remotely on any given day. Also, as an alternative workplace other than the office or at home, in fiscal 2020 we established nine satellite offices throughout the Tokyo metropolitan area, and are planning to add more such offices in the future. Offering these options for work environments is accelerating the transition to remote work throughout the company.
Staggered working hours
We are proactively implementing staggered working hours, enabling employees to align their working style with the needs of their clients, and improving employees' work–life balance.
Expansion of flextime system & Adoption of three-day and four-day work week options
In order to add to the options available to employees in terms of working styles, and to enable them to choose their own working styles and work with a high level of motivation, from November of this year we are expanding the scope of employees who are eligible for the flextime system. Also, in December this year we plan to begin offering employees the option to select a three- or four-day work week, contingent on discussions with our labor union. This will enable more diverse working styles and will make Mizuho a company in which employees with diverse priorities can work and thrive.
Utilization of information and communications technology
We are expanding the devices available to employees, including computers, tablets, smartphones, and more, based on the type of work they are responsible for. In fiscal 2020 we are also introducing a group-wide online collaboration platform. Through these efforts we aim to utilize a balance of on-site and remote work, providing higher value services and enhancing internal communication.
3．Our new workplace
- As we consolidate our Head Office functions we will be preparing workplaces in Mizuho Marunouchi Tower and Otemachi Tower.
|Central concept of our workplaces|
Adoption of a group address system
We will implement a "group address" system (free address within each department) enabling employees to freely change their seating arrangements depending on the work they need to attend to, and with Wi-Fi available throughout each building employees can move about at will. Being able to work in a variety of different locations depending on the day's tasks will enable lively communication between collaborating employees, increase productivity, and raise work efficiency. Also, our preparations for adopting the group address system have enabled us to make progress on going paperless, and we have successfully reduced around 70% of stored paper documents compared to prior to the consolidation of Head Office functions.
Diverse office spaces to meet a variety of working styles
We are creating spaces designed to raise employee productivity, such as collaborative workspaces, areas for focusing on solo work, and spaces for taking breaks. These spaces are intended to maximize the unique value that comes with working in an office environment, such as chance encounters and face-to-face communication, the importance of which we have been reminded of under the Covid-19 pandemic.
In addition to creating work environments in which each employee can work dynamically and achieve professional growth, by providing spaces for linking in-house and external knowledge, we will support initiatives for employees' new working styles.
Mizuho Marunouchi Tower Otemachi Tower
Our new workplace: Mizuho Marunouchi Tower