Support innovation and industry revitalization in Japan and globally
For innovative start–ups that have superior technology and ideas, Mizuho provides both loans and equity financing, while also actively offering business development opportunities such as business matching as well as through collaboration with industry, academia, and government ministries. Through these activities, Mizuho aims to provide financial support that will lead to sustainable growth in the Japanese economy and the creation of new jobs.
Financial institutions are expected to play roles in supporting companies from a broad perspective by sharing risk, providing industry and business knowledge, and supporting the creation of corporate governance frameworks. By supporting the growth of Japanese companies through joint investment and providing capital funding as necessary to spur growth, we will continue working to enhance the industrial competitiveness of the Japanese economy and society.
Initiatives in FY2023
- Basic agreement on the Wheeling Structure for Procurement of Renewable Energy through Low-Voltage, Distributed Solar Power Generation Facilities (PDF/677KB)
- Mizuho Bank arranges Mizuho Green Real Estate Non-Recourse Loan for a Singapore commercial real estate project managed by AEW (PDF/100KB)
- Financing of a BlackRock real estate project through Mizuho Non-Recourse Loan for Green Properties (PDF/101KB)
- Launch of Mizuho Human Capital Management Finance (PDF/499KB)
- Mizuho joins global Hydrogen Council (PDF/118KB)
- Mizuho, MUFG and DBJ jointly arrange project financing for Kitakyushu-Hibikinada Offshore Wind Farm (PDF/1,665KB)
Initiatives in FY2022
- Basic agreement on Japan’s largest “Wheeling Structure for Procurement of Renewable Energy Through Low-voltage, Distributed Solar Power Generation Facilities” (Japanese text only) (PDF/398KB)
- Mizuho Bank launched Japan's First Sustainable Supply Chain Finance (SSCF)(Japanese text only) (PDF/1,253KB)
- Set an Investment Budget for Transition Areas (Japanese text only) (PDF/142KB)
- Commencement of Mizuho Sustainability-linked private placement bonds (Japanese text only) (PDF/243KB)
- Mizuho Bank Invests in Filipino Digital Bank Tonik
Initiatives in FY2021
- Mizuho Bank invests in Vietnamese digital payment services company M-Service
- Commencement of Mizuho Sustainability linked loans PRO (Japanese Text only) (PDF/234KB)
- Commencement of DX Promotion Support Finance (PDF/175KB)
- Commencement of SDGs Promotion Support Finance (PDF/227KB)
- Commencement of Mizuho Positive Impact Finance (PDF/150KB)
- Mizuho appointed as joint lead arranger of the first green auto ABS issuance in the Chinese interbank bond market
- Investment in and provision of real estate financing to the real estate asset management company of East Japan Railway Company (PDF/187KB)
- Mizuho Bank extends the first transition loan in Japan to Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha
- First Close of MM Capital Infrastructure Fund I L.P. A Specialized Equity Investment Fund for Overseas Infrastructure Assets
Initiatives in FY2020
- SPARX Group Establishes the Japan Monozukuri Mirai Fund–Investing in Japanese monozukuri (manufacturing)–
- Memorandum of understanding for cooperation related to investment support for InvesTaiwan and Japanese companies in the Taiwanese semiconductor industry (PDF/85KB)
- Mizuho initiatives to combat the spread of Covid-19: ¥1 trillion in new financial support (PDF/144KB)
- Establishment of the Mizuho Post-COVID–19 Support Fund (PDF/989KB)
- Establishment of the Mizuho Post–COVID–19 Assist Fund (Growth Strategy) (PDF/989KB)
- Establishment of the Mizuho Post–COVID–19 Assist Fund (Business Succession) (PDF/989KB)
- Mizuho signs a business cooperation agreement with Thailand–based TISCO Financial Group
Initiatives in FY2019
- Establishment of The Fund, a growth fund to provide hands-on support to start-up companies aiming to create new industries (PDF/289KB)
- Participation in the Japan Impact Investment No. 2 Fund as an infrastructure for supporting and fostering ventures to solve social issues (PDF/251KB)
- Strengthening efforts to support innovative companies in China (PDF/108KB)
- Investment in a venture fund in Shenzhen, China (PDF/219KB)
- Establishment of the Mizuho Life Science No. 1 Fund (PDF/215KB)
Through M's Salon, we provide our full, multifaceted support to start–up companies who are building the future
M's Salon is a membership service that leverages the networks, financial services capabilities, and consulting services of Mizuho Financial Group to provide management knowledge, business execution know–how, business expansion opportunities, financing support, and other services that are essential for start–up companies aiming for rapid growth.
M's Salon formally began accepting membership applications from 2017, and now has over 3,600* participating member companies.
* As of the end of March 2021
Mizuho hosted the M's Salon Connect, a large-scale event facilitating introductions and concentrated business discussions between innovative companies* seeking business expansion alliances and product development partners to large companies in need of new business development and operational efficiency.
(*Companies using advanced technology to develop innovative products and services)
(*Average number of business discussions)
|Number of business negotiations※
|Number of participating large companies※
|Number of participating innovative companies※
(*Average attendance at each meeting)
M's Salon is composed of support companies—mostly leading Japanese companies, mentors well versed in management and business, and closely affiliated venture capital companies, who together create opportunities for business matching, hold seminars, and contribute to the rapid growth of member companies.
In addition to providing services using the latest technologies, M’s Salon hosts the SDGs x Tech Pitch event where innovative companies, contributing to attaining the Sustainable Development Goals, take the stage to pitch their ideas to major companies.
We will contribute to the Japanese economy and social progress through our support for the start–up companies that will play a leading role in the future.
IPO support structure
Mizuho provides solutions tailored to its customers' needs by coordinating with Mizuho Securities, which supports listed companies as a securities firm, including the needs of customers considering an initial public offering (IPO); Mizuho Trust & Banking, which provides transfer agent services, including advice on securities matters and other support; and Mizuho Capital, which offers advice for venture capital investments and public offerings.
Supporting the creation of innovation
Since FY2016, Mizuho Securities has held Innovation Field, an annual event to accelerate open innovation, build ecosystems and enhance collaboration among industry, the public sector and academia. Its seventh edition “Innovation Field 2023,” held under the theme of “Transition to a Sustainable Society: Evolution of a Revolutionary Ecosystem,” included the following four programs: “Realization of a sustainable society with innovation”; “Cutting-edge technology to make a difference”; “Building a more advanced ecosystem”; and “Response to the changing financial market environment.” The event offered excellent opportunities for sharing business ideas and active networking to a wide range of participants, including startups, large companies, and venture capital companies as well as government agencies and academic institutions.
Attention around the world is increasingly focusing on impact startups (social entrepreneurs) who are reforming society with a sustainable business approach by addressing pressing and serious social issues such as those in the fields of human rights, education, health, and the environment. In Japan, which is considered a country at the forefront of addressing social issues that include an aging population, social security, energy, and the vitalization of local economies, expectations are rising regarding what social businesses can accomplish. As part of our effort to advance social business in Japan, we at Mizuho are promoting initiatives to help solve social issues, leveraging the insight and know-how of social entrepreneurs.
From October 2019 to March 2020, we turned the temporary enclosure around our Marunouchi Tower construction site into Mizuho Bank Gallery, a "social art museum" for the local community, and exhibited artwork from artists with intellectual disabilities. This project was a collaboration with Heralbony, a company that promotes innovative initiatives to present artwork by artists with intellectual disabilities to the general public by displaying the artwork on temporary enclosures around construction sites and other locations. In addition, on December 20, 2021, Mizuho began issuing Mizuho Business Debit SDGs cards featuring artwork by artists with disabilities contracted by Heralbony. Mizuho also sponsored a Heralbony exhibition on the theme of musicalizing the routine sound generated by the mentally disabled, held at the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art in Kanazawa from October 2022 to March 2023.
- Heralbony's initiatives
- Mizuho Bank and Heralbony collaborate on new Mizuho Business Debit SDGs cards (Japanese Text only) (PDF/1,253KB)
- Mizuho Financial Group joins the Impact Startup Association